Close your eyes. Picture a basement. Any basement. What do you see? When people think of basements, they usually imagine two scenarios…
- Unfurnished basements used primarily for storage.
- Furnished basements mainly used for entertaining kids and house guests.
Basements don’t have to be binary. We have a third option, and it’s to transform your basement into a guest bedroom. Why do finished basements make great sleeping quarters? Here are three of the many reasons:
- If you have a family, every bedroom is already taken.
- COMFORT! Guests shouldn’t have to sleep on an air mattress or a couch in the living room. Air mattresses are uncomfortable, and they likely obstruct access for residents. Having house guests crash on the sofa can be inconvenient for all parties involved.
- Basements allow for privacy. It’s just as good as a bedroom. Sleeping in the living room is okay, but it’s hard to stay asleep when you can hear the others rustling around upstairs or making breakfast one room over. To make their underground stay even more enjoyable, add a TV and a mini-fridge. This way, guests can wake up comfortably and grab some orange juice while watching their favorite morning show.
Now, you might be thinking, “What if we want to keep the pool table down there and still house guests?” Great question.
Depending on your basement’s size, a traditional bed isn’t always practical, but a pull-out sofa bed is. Multifunctional furniture makes basements much more space efficient. No matter how old you are, you can gather your college fraternity brothers downstairs in your new “bro-tel” without interfering with other areas of the home.
If you decide to go with a hybrid basement (activity center/guest bedroom), you’re going to need a basement waterproofing contractor. Rightway Waterproofing services NJ as well as Philadelphia and Delaware. Before remodeling or furnishing, consult a basement waterproofing specialist. This is a project that should be handled before you fully renovate (just in case any construction is required). The last thing you want is mold to creep into your newly upgrade sleeping quarters. Stay ahead of the game and be proactive. If you have any questions, call 866-741-6190 and let us know.