Blog

The Harmful Health Effects of Black Mold

If you’re a fan of stinky cheese, you know that not every type of mold is harmful to human health—some of it can be quite tasty! Unfortunately, black mold is one type of mold that you never want to see in your home. If you think you have black mold in your home, you should call for NJ mold removal as soon as possible to prevent damage to both your property and your health.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has stated that “excessive exposure to mold-contaminated materials can cause adverse health effects in susceptible persons regardless of the type of mold or the extent of contamination.” One of the most dangerous types of mold that you might see in your home is toxic black mold. Black mold (or “Stachybotrys chartarum,” as scientists call it) is a type of mold that feeds on organic material like carpeting, drywall, and flooring that has been exposed to moisture. As its name suggests, one of the first signs you might notice when you have a black mold infestation is a dark-colored substance covering your walls or flooring. Black mold growth is common after a flood, hurricane, or heavy rainstorm that gets the basement wet.

When black mold grows, it releases spores into the air. These spores can cause damage to the human respiratory system. Chronic coughing, sneezing, itching, and eye irritation are all symptoms of black mold exposure. In severe cases, these respiratory issues can become chronic and long-lasting. If you’re allergic to mold, exposure to black mold can even become deadly, resulting in vomiting and bleeding in the lungs.

Toxic black mold can be dangerous for everyone living in your home. If you think that you have dangerous mold in your home, call Rightway Waterproofing to request black mold removal in NJ immediately. 

Business Accreditation

Hear What Our Customers Are Saying!

“We wanted to thank you for your personal and specialized attention to the water problem we had in our basement. You took the time to inspect the whole situation and gave us recommendations, all of which worked. You had a way of explaining the process and materials that would be used in a way that we understood. We are very pleased with the work that was done and would highly recommend your company to anyone.”

-John and Barbara Vicich

“The day after Hurricane Irene, all of my neighbors basements were filled with water, while mine remained dry! It is wonderful, everything remains dry and the battery backup worked beautifully when my power was out for 2 days. Dry AND quiet, thank you, thank you! Thanks! Debbie, Berwyn”

-Debbie, Berwyn

“All I have to say is that Hurricane Irene was no match for the job that Rightway did for my basement and my father-in-law’s. I had my basement done 5 years ago and we are still bone dry and my father-inlaw’s was done last year and another dry basement… Great job! I highly recommend them for waterproofing and mold remediation.”

-Doug Smith, Glenside

“I’d highly recommend these guys for your basement. My basement has been dry since they installed a sump pump and French drain in June. They offer a competitive price, they get the job done quickly and they stand by their work. Please mention my name if you proceed down the road with these guys.”

-Luke

“We had our basement waterproofed with Rightway Waterproofing in 2007, after all this time and just getting through Hurricane Irene, we did not get a drop of water in our basement. Rightway Waterproofing did a very good job and we are very satisfied!”

-Angelo and Sandra Patiri