Damp basements are breeding grounds for all kinds of things we don’t want in our homes, especially mold. Mold does damage to property values, home aesthetics and the health of a house’s occupants. Since mold spores are sometimes invisible or undetectable, consider what your basement smells like to give yourself an idea of whether or not you’re at risk for mold. Is it musty smelling? If so, you might have a mold problem. If you’re not sure, ask yourself if anyone you live with has been sneezing or coughing a lot lately. If so, it might be due to mold.
Mold spores hitch rides on the backs of breezes and swim throughout homes, forming colonies wherever they land. It is important to prevent these colonies from sprouting up by any means necessary. Here at Rightway Waterproofing Co., we know a lot about mold prevention. Let us take a minute of your time to tell you a bit about what you can do to prevent mold in your basement.
- Make a solution that is equal parts vinegar and water, then use that solution to wipe down the surfaces in your basement like ceiling fan blades, tabletops and window sills. Vinegar is a powerful and safe mold deterrent.
- Ventilate your basement by opening windows and turning on exhaust fans.
- Invest in a humidifier and run it every so often to keep your basement dry.
- Install weather stripping around windows, doors and any other areas that are susceptible to the elements. This is a cheap and effective measure for preventing mold.
- Fix every leak. Preventing water from pooling and moistening areas of your basement is one of the most effective treatments and preventative steps for avoiding mold.
- Seal any cracks in your basement. That includes the walls and the floors.
- Kill existing mold. You’ll need a professional to do this, but the best way to stop mold from spreading is to kill mold that already exists.
If you want professional help removing mold or repairing and preventing water damage, give us a call to schedule a free basement inspection. We proudly offer our basement waterproofing services to Montgomery County, PA, and its surrounding areas.