Suppose you’re about to close on a new home and the basement smells a bit funny. Or maybe you already own a home and something isn’t right with your basement but you can’t quite put your finger on it. Maybe the last year has been exceptionally wet with rain and snow. Perhaps you’ve always had a musty smell in the basement and it’s getting worse. If this sounds like you, the source of your suspicions could be water damage.
There’s an expression that goes, “Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.” But sometimes there’s a fire and you can’t see the smoke. It’s a mistake to only use your eyes when looking for a fire. It’s also a mistake to only use your nose when looking for water damage. Here at Rightway Waterproofing Co., we’ve been diagnosing and fixing water damage for over 20 years. So we thought it would be a good idea to share some of the most common signs with you.
1. Standing water is obviously a sign of water in the process of doing damage. However, it may not be obvious that it can and will happen again. That’s why it’s a good idea to have the basement waterproofed.
2. Unusual smells are the second most obvious sign of water damage. It’s usually a musty, unpleasant odor that is usually a precursor to the next sign.
3. Mold is usually spotty around damaged areas. The reason mold must be addressed right away is because of the health issues it can cause, especially for those with vulnerable respiratory systems.
4. Stains usually appear around water damaged areas, especially on walls and floors.
5. Rust may not be an obvious sign of water damage, but it is definitely an obvious sign of water-related issues. When you see rust inside, say on an appliance or the fuse box, you know something’s not right.
Hopefully, you’re not currently experiencing any of the aforementioned symptoms of water damage. But if you suspect that you are, you may want to give an experienced professional like Rightway a call. You can set up a free consultation with us for waterproofing if you live in the Philadelphia or NJ areas.